European Avalanche School: Aims. The main objective of this course is to give the participant an in depth knowledge of snow structure, the processes of change within it, and through field experience, develop recognition of snow-pack stability and confidence in ascertaining potential avalanche risk.
The course is formatted to an internationally recognized standard to the European alpine environment. The course will be run by, Steve Jones BMG, Per Ås, SBO and Mark Diggins BMG.
The course will be held in La Grave, a name recognised as being one of the premier off piste skiing areas in Europe. The skiing area is uniquely devoted to off piste skiing. La Grave provides us with a variety of accessible areas that will not have been groomed or skied, so offering good locations for study. The lift company are very helpful and give us invaluable support.
This will be in the Skiers Lodge La Grave. The price is for full board, which comprises a large breakfast buffet and evening meal. Those of you who have stayed here before will know the high standard of the cuisine. The residential price covers meals and accommodation from Sunday evening until the following Saturday breakfast.
Transfer from Grenoble is available on a limited basis at a specific time. Please enquire at the Skiers Lodge for prices and details. A bus service also runs from Grenoble train station to La Grave. Trains from Geneva to Grenoble are regular and take approximately 2 hours.
Arrival & departure times
Arrive by 19:00 hrs on the Sunday at the Hotel Des Alpes. Depart Saturday morning or Friday evening. An informal meeting for participants will take place on the Sunday evening at 19:30. The course will start properly on Monday morning and end Friday evening.
Catriona Reid, Course Administrator, tel: +44 1479 841828
- Standard Room Double or Triple occupancy
- Lodge Accommodation – Twin Rooms. Breakfast, 4 Course Evening Meal.
- Includes professionals' fees, course folder, reference manual, log book and lectures.
- Lift passes.
- Off-Piste Insurance (Recommended).
- Transfers from/to Grenoble.
EXPERIENCE & EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
- Good skiing ability with a number of years off piste skiing experience.
- Avalanche transceiver (can be hired)
- Ski touring equipment or downhill skis with securifix
- Writing materials
- Magnifying glass*
- Clinometer (optional)*
- Crystal screen*
- Snow saw (optional)
- Log book (provided)
- Snow weighing apparatus (optional)
- 2 meter rule
- Shovel (smooth bladed) in local store
- 3 meter probe in local store
RECOMMENDED REFERENCE BOOKS
- "Chance in a Million" Barton / Wright
- "Avalanche Safety for Skiers and Climbers" Daffern